Excellence in Teaching Award
The Excellence in Teaching Award was initiated in 2007 by the New Awards Committee. This award recognizes excellence in risk management and insurance teaching. Applicants should have a distinguished record of excellent teaching throughout their academic career. This award is a non-monetary award and will be awarded only in years when an exceptional candidate is identified. An award certificate will be presented at the Awards Luncheon at the 2018 Annual Meeting in Chicago.
If a candidate is not selected during the first year that his/her application is submitted for consideration, the candidate may request that his/her application remain in the pool for consideration in the following year. A candidate’s application may remain in the pool without amendment for a maximum of two additional years after the year in which it is first submitted.
A complete application package will include the materials described below:
- Completed Application Form
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Portfolio that includes but is not limited to:
- Statement of teaching philosophy (not to exceed two pages)
- Syllabi of at least two (2) recent courses
- Summaries of student evaluations (scores and/or comments) for at least two (2) recent courses
- Grade distribution for several recent courses
- List of prior teaching awards won (if applicable)
- Letters of Recommendation (not to exceed two  pages each)
- Two (2) letters from students
- One additional letter of support (e.g., from colleague)
- Additional letters are optional
- Additional Documentation
Additional information documenting teaching excellence also may be included. This might include statements of the applicant’s role in attracting RMI majors, the applicant’s role in designing new courses or in using innovative teaching methods, the applicant’s role in program (or major) level assessment of learning outcomes, etc.
- Effective for the 2017 Awards: If a candidate is not selected during the first year that his/her application is submitted for consideration, the candidate may request that his/her application remain in the pool for consideration in the subsequent year. A candidate’s application may remain in the pool without amendment for a maximum of two additional years after the year in which it is first submitted.
The application and supporting materials (send one PDF file) should be emailed to James Jones (email@example.com). The application deadline is March 20, 2018.
Past recipients of the Excellence In Teaching Award are:
|2017||Charles Nyce||Florida State University|
|2016||Nathaniel Pope||Illinois State University|
|2015||Andre Liebenberg||The University of Mississippi|
|2012||Rob Drennan||Temple University|
|2011||Patrick Brockett||University of Texas-Austin|
|2010||William Rabel||University of Alabama|
|2009||James Garven||Baylor University|
|2008||Mark Browne||University of Wisconsin-Madison|
|2007||Rob Hoyt||University of Georgia|